Justice Brian Zahra Won’t Protect Your Rights
The Michigan Supreme Court often has the final word on big issues that impact people across the state of Michigan. Who we elect to the court matters because they’re tasked with ensuring our rights are protected and ruling on cases that affect the lives of everyday Michiganders.
Issues like reproductive freedom and our voting rights can and will be decided by the Michigan Supreme Court. Who sits on the bench matters.
Michigan Supreme Court Justice Brian Zahra has sat on the bench for YEARS and during that time, he’s shown that he is not in favor of justice for all or standing up for our rights:
- Reproductive rights and freedom are under attack. Zahra has received the support of the extreme anti-abortion organization, Right to Life of Michigan and tried to prevent Michiganders from voting on a reproductive freedom ballot proposal this November.
- Zahra has a history of refusing to hear cases that tried to protect the rights of LGBTQ people and families.
- Students have a right to be safe at school and Zahra ruled against schools who wanted to keep students safe and ban guns in schools.
- Our public schools are under attack by Betsy DeVos and her family. Zahra supported giving public money to private schools and has received over $100,000 throughout his career from the DeVos family.
- People and organizations need to be held accountable for sexual abuse and Zahra opposed hearing a case involving Catholic school abuse and negligence.
At the end of the day, when it comes to thinking of who should sit on the Michigan Supreme Court, ask yourself: Do you trust Justice Brian Zahra to protect your rights? We don’t.